Problem while building sh4 cross-compiler.

Following Bill Gatliff's neato walkthrough/howto as a general blueprint
(thanks Bill), I'm on my way to setting up a sh4 cross-compiling environment
on my x86 Linux 2.4 box. Of course, this is all aimed at my Dreamcast. So
anyway, I've got glibc compiled and I've got the sh4 kernel headers in
place, and now I'm at the point where I'd like to actually build the
fully-functional cross-compiler.

I've run into a snag, alas. During compilation of sh4-linux-gcc, I get the
following error:

./gengenrtl -h >tmp-genrtl.h
/bin/sh: line 1: ./gengenrtl: cannot execute binary file
make[1]: *** [s-genrtl] Error 126
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/dc/build-gcc2/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

It seems that "gengenrtl" (along with a bunch of other similarly-named
programs) is built DURING compilation. The catch is thus: gengenrtl and its
friends are compiled using the previously-built sh4 bootstrap compiler (as
according to Bill's instructions). Furthermore, these programs are actually
used as tools during compilation.

But, um. They're built, like I said, with the bootstrap compiler. Hence:
they can't be run on my x86 box. Seems like somewhat of a big goofup
somewhere along the line. Most likely, it's my own goofup, so I'm wondering
if anyone here can provide me with some assistance. ;P

gcc version is 2.95.4, sh4-linux-gcc version is 3.0.1.

Any help would be appreciated!

--JT
http://zhaymusic.com/