problem building cross compiler: newlib fails to create crt1.o

hi,
i am trying to create a cross compiler for a powerpc (hosted on an i686),
and followed the instructions in the CrossGCC faq to the letter. i am
getting the following compile-time failure of my code after "successful"
installation of binutils, gcc and newlib:

  > powerpc-eabi-linux-gnu-gcc -o xctest.ppc ctest.c
  /home/grabner/xgcc/powerpc-eabi-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory

  (ctest.c is the most basic 'write(1,"hello\n",6);' program...)

i then found several references to this problem in the list archives, but
no solution seems to work for me... i have tried many different version
combinations of binutils, gcc and newlib to no avail. i also tried using
glibc instead of newlib, but that resulted in the same error during the
compilation of glibc itself:

  [snip...] $cwd/sysdeps/posix/mk-stdiolim.c -o mk-stdiolim
  /home/grabner/xgcc/powerpc-eabi-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory

here is my setup:

  native compiler:  gcc-2.96
  comfigure scripts called with:
	--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
	--target=powerpc-eabi-linux-gnu
	--prefix=/home/grabner/xgcc

  binutils:	2.9.1
  gcc:		2.8.1
  glibc:	2.0.6
  newlib:	1.8.1

why am i using such old versions? because that was what the CrossGCC FAQ
used - and the newer ones did not work any better... so i tried a version
set that i hoped would at least give me a functional compiler.

in the $prefix/$target/lib directory i found a crt0.o, but no crt1.o...

thank you in advance for any help on either creating the crt1.o file (and
any others that should be there), or any other pointers that might help me
get a cross-compiler running.

thanks,
phil.