ARM alignment options?

Hi,

I have a StrongARM (sa1110) processor, using 32-bit SRAM. I don't
want to use the byte select lines though. I want to access the
memory (reads and writes) 32-bits at a time (always).

So I need to get the gcc compiler to align all variables to 32-bit
boundaries... For example.. a "char" should use 32-bits too... I have
looked through the gcc info, but can find anything... surely there
must be a option that does this? Or can I compile a new cross-
compiler? I am using arm-elf at the moment...

At the moment I am using only unsigned ints (32-bit) variables... but I
would like to be able to work with strings too and hence need to use
bytes ;-)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Greg
Gregor Dreijer, <gdreijer@ING.SUN.AC.ZA>
Electronic Systems Laboratory (ESL)
Dept. Electrical & Electronic Engineering
University of Stellenbosch