building 3.04 for mipsel-linux (or anything else)

I'm trying to build a cross compiler for mipsel-linux. We want
to upgrade our

	gcc version 2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease)

to 3.04 or better.

The host compiler is

	gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98)

I manage to get the thing built and can compile applications with it
but I have some doubts about the compiler. This is partly becuase I
can't get my linux-2.4.18 to boot. When I make the cross compiler
I get warnings like

    ../../gcc-3.0.4/gcc/c-lex.c:106:59: warning: function-like
    macro "strcmp" must b e used with arguments in traditional C

and

    ../../gcc-3.0.4/gcc/gcc.c:569: warning: string length `1104'
    is greater than the minimum length `509' ISO C89 is required to support

These seem to go above and beyond the normal warning about comparing
signed and unsigned ints.

Can the 3.04 sources be compiled with 2.96? I sometimes get errors
about internal compiler errors. If I just type make again things
seem to be happy. This too makes me uncomfortable.

Is there an idiots guide to mipsel-linux cross compilers anywhere? I
found a fairly good one but it makes some assumptions about where files
are installed. If you put things anywhere other than /usr/local you've
got to do a little extra work. What I'm really after is another document
that shows how to do the build so I can compare the two and convince
myself I've got it right.

Thanks.

--
Joel Coltoff

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold
two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain
the ability to function.
    -- F. Scott Fitzgerald