Installing GNU Packages on Sun

Has anyone else experienced problems with the install script on Sun OS
when attempting to install GNU packages?
I'm not sure if this is the best forum to ask this Sun Specific
question.

My ultimate goal is to build an m68k cross compiler on Sun OS 5.8.  In
the process of building the supporting tools, make, binutils, gcc etc. I
discovered make install does not work.  The following is a sample of the
error I am getting.  It seems that the install command generated by the
make results in the install script on Sun generating a cp command with
the parameters reversed.  It is trying to copy from /usr/local/bin to
the development directory.

Is there a quick fix for this or am I going to have to start messing
with the install script or the makefiles for all the packages I want to
build?

sun:/home/gnu/make-3.79> make install-exec
Making install-exec in glob
Making install-exec in i18n
/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
  //etc/install -c  make /usr/local/bin/make
cp: cannot create make/make: Not a directory
install: cp /usr/local/bin/make make/make failed
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-binPROGRAMS'
Current working directory /home/gnu/make-3.79
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-exec-recursive'
sun:/home/gnu/make-3.79>

Glynn Smith
    BELOBOX Networks
=Networks For Tomorrow=