Re: m68k-unknown-coff

> > Actually, I need m68k-coff-gcc to recompile a linux
> > kernel for M68328. I don't have the processor yet but
> > I do have some simulator. My questions:
> >
> > 1. Should I build GCC tools with newlib or glibc?

Hello,
Are you going to use the ucsimm (MC68EZ328) module? I'm using gcc with newlib
on a ucsimm. If it would help, I'll email you the instructions.

> For the kernel you only need a bare bones compiler no libc at all,
> though I trust it doesn't hurt. Though for the application running on
> the Machine using that kernel, it maybe is necessary to use glibc (not
> sure here). Have a look at some embedded processor running a small scale
> linux, what they're using, it also depends on the memory available. I
> doubt that newlib is able to provide the interface to the kernel. But as
> I've indicated I'm walking on thin ice here.

Are you aware of the uClinux project? They have ported Linux to the ucsimm
and ucdimm (MC68VZ328), as well as many others. It uses uclibc instead of
newlib. We didn't need the added complexity of Linux and found uclibc to be
incomplete.

Hope This Helps,
Larry Gray
larry@greenmotor.com