RE: Gcc calling wrong assembler

  God only knows, at this stage, what setup you had and how it worked.  The
tendency of binutils to leave all these bits and pieces lying around can
sometimes cause things to work that shouldn't because some spare version
of a needed tool with a different name just happens to be at the right place
in the path.  (And if you ever want to see things going soooo wrong, try
putting /usr/local/arm-elf/bin at the front of your path rather than at the
end!)

 [ re --with-as= ]

>Ah, So it is possible!

  Should be, although being one of the less commonly used features of gcc,
it might easily be flaky or broken in some of the cross targets.

>I think I'll leave things in the normal configuration. Since
>I'm going to be distributing binary RPM files, I should make
>things as standard as possible.

  I always advise people for the sake of simplicity and less headaches to
let the package do it's own thing to the greatest extent possible and leave
as much as possible the standard default setup.  It gets into a right old
mess if gcc and binutils are configured with different --prefix= settings,
and I imagine the same would happen with the program-suffix and -prefix
options too...

       DaveK
--
" So far, science's crowning achievement, the Atomic Bomb, has not even
been able to alleviate the misery and torture of endless centuries of

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com