Re: help about cross-compiler

On Mon, 09 Jul 2001 17:03:45 +0800
"Liu Yong" <yliu@newavetech.com> wrote:

> >  What about using a more stable GCC like gcc-2.95.3 ?
> I have used 2.95.3 and get the same result.

 The new gcc-3.0 may work perfectly for m68k, but one cannot yet be sure. Anyhow
it implements options like '-mpcrel' and '-mstrict-align/-mno-strict-align',
which are missing from gcc-2.95.3 (but can be added there).

> > > /my-gcc/vi configure(change the target(m68k-hp-bsd4.3 and prefix
> > director
> > >
> > > So what 's wrong with my Gcc?
> > > Do you think I need libgcc1.a? I have no this files.
> >
> >  You should have more info about the target than we have...
>    //shy. I hope I can , but.. I just have read a user's manual about
> M68k.
>  And I even have no chance to use m68k. What I want to do is set up
> a software platform to learn m68k programming. Maybe after some time I
> will have a m68k processor and run programs on it, but now I have nothing
> except a sun solaris workstation.

 The BSVC Ver.2.1 m68000/m68360 simulator from Bradford T.Mott at:

   http://www2.ncsu.edu/eos/service/ece/project/bsvc/www

could be a suitable start.  The m68k-target suggested for GCC to be used
with BSVC, is 'm68k-vxworks' but perhaps other targets may serve just as
well.

 Unfortunately GDB/Insight doesn't include a simulator, but GDB/Insight
perhaps could be used to connect to BSVC via a socket (TCP/IP). The docs
talk about a 'GDB-socket' with the m68360-simulator and there should be
a GDB-stub which can talk via the socket and with GDB...

> >  So defining 'LIBGCC1 = libgcc1.null' in your '$build_dir/gcc/Makefile'
> > (after "target overrides"), or defining it as empty, will cause no
> > 'libgcc1.a' to be produced...
>
>    So you mean I needn't generate libgcc1.a ?

 Yes...

> >  How on earth you are going to test the produced executables then?
> > You probably don't need a cross-compiler for an unexisting target ;-)
>
>    Yes, it's a problem . So I want to get a cross-compiler ,cross-
> assembler and cross-linker . Then I must get a simulator . Do you think
> it work? I don't know , but I have to do something to give answer.
> Do you think I can get a simulator to run the code that generate by cross-
> compiler for m68k ? If there is no simulator , it 's no use to get a
> cross-compiler.

 Please check the BSVC... It is tcl/tk-based and should run with the
same shared tcl/tk libs and scripts as the RedHat Insight-GDB.  But the
C++ code in it doesn't compile with gcc-2.95.x or gcc-3.0, so one of
your native Solaris-GCCs must be made from egcs-1.1.2 sources and you
must use it to build BSVC.

>     Now I have no target headers and libs . Because I have no target
> machine. can anyone give me such files for m68k-hp-bsd4.3 ? Or tell me
> where can get them( don't tell me get it from target machine . ;-) )

 The BSVC-package includes minimal headers for GCC, a minimal startup and
libraries, but building newlib may be done too.

Cheers, Kai