crt1.o problem :(

Hi!

For cross compiling linux kernel from i386 to powerpc (Intel 403GA), I have
successfully build :
binutils-2.10.1
gcc-2.95.2
newlib-1.8.2

Now, to test my configuration, I tried compiling a very simple program,
which on compiling gives :
--------------------
$cat a.c
#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
printf("hello");
}

$powerpc-linux-gcc a.c
/usr/local/powerpc-linux/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or
directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

On searching for this crt1.o file, I found that it was there in "/usr/lib"
folder. But I think its not the one gcc is searching for (this one should
belong to host system i386).

Please tell me what to do and how to test my gcc configuration.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhishek Khaitan