RE: library paths

> Can anybody give me an idea on how the library paths work?
> Here's my problem.  I created a cross-compiler from windows
> targetting linux.  In order to do that, I copied the libs
> from /usr/lib on
> my linux box to $prefix/i486-linux/lib on my windows box and I
> copied /lib from my linux box to /lib on my windows box.  The linker
> evidently looks in one place some times and in the other place the
> rest of the time because it was looking for one library in
> /lib that was
> actually in $prefix/i486-linux/lib as well as looking for one
> lib in i486-
> linux/lib which was actually in /lib.  To get around this, I
> just created
> symbolic links for those two files, which works.  What I'd
> really like
> though is to be able to do it without any symbolic links and without
> placing any libs in the /lib directory of my windows box
> (i.e. using a
> directory pointed to by a LIB environment variable of some sort).
> Does anybody have any good suggestions on how to do that?

Jim,

You can get the search path your compiler uses with -print-search-dirs.
I can't see any reason why a cross-gcc would look for libs in /lib
which is *outside* of your $prefix/ tree, there must be something
wrong in your configuration (are you sure you used the same
--prefix= for all stages?)

Cheers,
Y.