Re: intuitive IDE for gcc on linux ?

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Vermeulen Jan wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I was wondering if there is any intuitive integrated development environment
> for cross-gcc.

emacs

> My boss is still a bit reluctant to finally switch to the gnu toolset (from
> our current 1990-braindead toolset).
> He says it is still a command-line interface and knowing we are living in
> 2001, it's not a very inviting piece of software, when commercial
> crosscompilers are all IDE driven. (my boss keeps on talking about Tasking
> :)
>
> So, help me out here, all you linux and/or GCC enthousiasts.
> In general, what are all the good things about gcc I can tell? (i already
> mention quite a few to my boss)

VxWorks uses gnu toolchain. They have a primitive TCL based gui slapped on
top of this though, but it is not required and most people do not use it
anyway.

Build environment of for ClearCase is also pretty much looks like a
standard makefiles.

So, you can tell your boss that if you will ever going to migrate from
toy systems up the food chain and play with the big guys you will have
much less trouble migrating if you do it from the gnu environment.

> And, if anybody knows a good visual environment (like KDE IDE) which works
> with crosscompilers, please let me know.

And by the way look for a better place to work (just in case) - in the new
new economy working for morons does not look so lucrative anymore :)

> Thanks in advance!,
> Jan Vermeulen

Thanks,

Aleksey