RE: has *anyone* been able to build arm-elf crossgcc with cygwin?

Hi Jeffrey,

With considerable pain and many late hours (not to mention dozens of replies
from people on this list who, unlike me, actually know what they're doing
8-) I did manage to get arm-elf to build on cygwin.

The key for me seemed to be --with-newlib. Following are the notes from my
log.

This, of course, produces a compiler good for making native, i.e. no os,
executables on the arm. I'm still working on getting a compiler suitable for
compiling linux and applications for execution under linux on arm from a
cygwin host. I'm also pursuing this on a linux host now (or at least i will
be once i manage to get back to it).

Good Luck! HTH...

John E. A.

---build log snippet---

# recommended to build for arm-elf if using newlib (crossgcc 3/21/2001)
# reconfigure and rebuild binutils
cd /usr/build-2.4.x/binutils
make distclean
../../binutils-2.10.1/configure --target=arm-elf 2>&1 | tee configure.out
make
make install
# make newlib links to gcc source dir
cd /usr/src/gcc-2.95.2
ln -s ../newlib-1.9.0/newlib newlib
ln -s ../newlib-1.9.0/libgloss libgloss
# reconfigure and build gcc
cd ../build-2.4.x/gcc
make distclean
../../gcc-2.95.2/configure --target=arm-elf \
      --enable-languages=c \
      --with-newlib -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out
make LANGUAGES=c | tee make.out
#yea haw!!!
make install