Von: querbach@realtime.bc.ca [mailto:querbach@realtime.bc.ca]
Gesendet: Freitag, 16. März 2001 18:36
An: Cristian Amitroaie
Cc: crossgcc@sources.redhat.com
Betreff: Re: A new cross

>     Did anybody try to port gcc for a new machine?

Yes.  We did a port to the Motorola HC11, HC12, and HC16 starting about five
years ago.  You can see the result at http://www.realtime.bc.ca.

>     If so, how long did it take and what docs were realy useful (except
>     gnu docs and Hans-Peter Nilsson's pgccd.pdf )?

We did gcc first; it took about three man-months for the first CPU and
considerably less for the other two.  We did gas and ld later; these took
about one man-month.

At the time, we had only the gcc docs and the source.  The trick is to find
an existing port that's either similar to your target, or is extremely
simple, and use it as a starting point.  We used the we32k port, if memory
serves.

By the way, what machine do you have in mind?

Regards,

David Querbach
Real-Time Systems Inc.

Want to unsubscribe? Send a note to