Trying to figure out what host to use

Hi,

I would like to build a cross development platform where the target is a
68332 chip and the host is a version of unix running on my Mac - MachTen
4.1.   Not ever doing this before, I have some questions that I'm hoping
someone can help me with.

I am reading the FAQ, and especially the part 4 "How to configure, build and
install GCC as a cross-compiler".

I have procured the following:
binutils 2.9.1
gcc 2.95.2
newlib 1.8.2

I also procured the one-tree-1.6.sh shellscript. I started the build process
with target=m68k-coff (btw, is this right for a 68332?). The host,
"powerpc-apple-machten5" was automatically figured out.

The configure process continues merrily along until it stops with the
following message:

checking if mkdir takes one argument... no
Configuration powerpc-apple-machten5 not supported

This occurs while configure is in the gcc directory of the gcc.2.95.2
directory.  I guess my first question is, is there a "host configuration"
that will work with my setup?

Here's another question - MachTen comes with gcc (and I believe binutils)
already installed. The version on the system is 2.8.1.  Can I use gcc 2.8.1
or do I need to compile gcc 2.95.2?  If I can use gcc 2.8.1, what else do I
need in order to complete the cross dev. system so that I can produce files
with S-records for the 68332 chip?

Any help, guidance, pointers, empathy, etc. will be greatly appreciated!