RE: Problem when building a crosscompiler for arm-linux target

Hello David,

> Building the Crosscompiler is the problem. Configuring goes
> without any
> problem.
> mkdir gcc-20010205-cross
> cd gcc-20010205-cross
> .../gcc-20010205/configure --host=i586-pc-linux-gnu --target=arm-linux
> --prefix=/home/davwes/ipaq/tools --disable-threads
> --with-cpu=strongarm110
> --enable-languages=c --with-newlib
> make all-gcc
>
> the build stops with the following message:

--with-newlib is to compile with, well, newlib, which isn't what
you want for arm-linux (linux will require glibc. I think you can
use other libs instead, but let's start with the standard things :) ).

At the same time, the compiler needs to know about your
linux kernel (to interface properly to system calls and that
kind of things).

Therefore, before compiling gcc, you have to unpack and configure
a linux kernel. This will provide you with a bunch of headers
(in linux/include), some of which are needed to compile the compiler.
Just copy linux/include/asm and linux/include/linux to
$prefix/$target/include
(would be /home/davwes/ipaq/tools/arm-linux/include in you case, I
think).

And then you can configure and 'make all-gcc LANGUAGES="c"' should
work fine.

Good luck,
Yves