Re: Installing glibc

Hi,

Philip Blundell wrote:
> >The things I really need to know are:
> >   a) How to add 2.2.1 to the ARM box without crippling glibc 2.1.2
> >programs.
>
> It should be no problem to just replace 2.1.2 with 2.2.1.  All old binaries
> should still work.  If you are having trouble, this indicates a bug in glibc
> 2.2.  Can you give more details of what goes wrong?

If I keep the old files in /lib, and add the new libraries in another
directory (putting it in /etc/ld.so.conf), then new programs give me
messages like

in.ftpd: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by
in.ftpd).

Jon McClintock's comment that my (PC) path prefix would get embedded in
ld.so and ldconfig is correct - the ld.so.cache points to libraries in
/usr/local/arm-linux/lib .  If I add a symlink to the new libraries, to
make that path exist, then I get messages:

ls: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version 'GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by
/new_libs/libc.so.6)

Everything starts to use the new C library, which can only find the old
dynamic linker.  At this point the whole system goes decidedly
pear-shaped...

The next thing I tried was to put all the library files, from both
versions, into /lib.  The symlinks were set up to point at the v2.2.1
files.  When I tried to boot the machine, init died as follows:

init: error while loading shared libraries: lib.so.6: cannot load shared
object
file: no such file or directory

I'm going to have a go at putting "--prefix=/" libs and utils onto the
ARM box, and see if this helps.  I guess these will have to be manually
installed, to avoid trashing the PC's libraries.  Does glibc's "make
install" do any special jiggery-pokery I need to be aware of, or do I
just need to copy the files and set up symlinks?

	James Inge

   /----
  / mailto:jri@bigfoot.com
 / http://inge.org.uk