Re: Cross build without target runtime [Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question]

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:29:43 +0100
Stefan Petters <petters@lpr.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Fabrice Gautier wrote:
> > Sure, I had to build the runtime (ie: linux glibc in my case) in order
> > to produce any binaries. And sure for that i had to have the glibc
> > source, so in a way I needed the runtime (in source form).
> Why the heck source???

To build glibc you need the source.
I needed glibc only after building my cross gcc.

> > (and I still think there is something not clear with the fact that when
> > I build with --with-newlib, i don't need newlib headers but i need glibc
> > headers otherwise)
> obviously you need the headers of the libc (in the original posters
> case Solrais libc headers). I don't have the manual here, but I would
> suspect, that the switch ``--with-newlib'' simply stands for
> ``--there-is-a-libc-on-target-and-here-are-the-headers''.

I think this is rather the contrary: there are some things like
"#ifndef inhibit_libc"  aroud some includes directive so that if you
used --with-newlib you don't need those headers.

> The headers
> are needed to build libgcc.a.

Why? Which libc functions does libgcc uses? I've seen some code about
exception handling that used libc functions, but I thought this was only
for C++. I asked some uestion about that on gcc-help list or gcc
newsgroup but didn't get much.

And does the gcc compiler driver needs header? And for what?

(But I will probably find all I want to know in the sources anyway, this
is something long to read though)

--
Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enstfr>