Re: Cross build without target runtime [Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question]

Hi,

Fabrice Gautier wrote:
> Sure, I had to build the runtime (ie: linux glibc in my case) in order
> to produce any binaries. And sure for that i had to have the glibc
> source, so in a way I needed the runtime (in source form).
Why the heck source???

> (and I still think there is something not clear with the fact that when
> I build with --with-newlib, i don't need newlib headers but i need glibc
> headers otherwise)
obviously you need the headers of the libc (in the original posters
case Solrais libc headers). I don't have the manual here, but I would
suspect, that the switch ``--with-newlib'' simply stands for
``--there-is-a-libc-on-target-and-here-are-the-headers''. The headers
are needed to build libgcc.a. The binary and especially the source of
the libc is IMHO not necessary. The binary is only needed for the
linking stage of the target-executables.

Regards,
	Stefan.