RE: Updated HOWTO [Re: Linux target, cygwin host ]

Well, I still don't understand why I need the target runtime to build the
cross compiler. I understand I need it to cross-build target applications,
or to cross build some system target libraries that the cross-compiler would
link by default with any application - like startup code or the like - But
for the compiler itself that doesn't make much sense...
(as a matter of fact I always get an xgcc binary before it fails but i don't
know what it is exactly...)

> Ok, so let's say we have a PC running Win2k and Cygwin, and we want to
> able to build Linux binaries on that PC. Yuk, I know, but there are
> those who seem to want it, and I just did it to satisfy some perverse
> need to see if it could be done trivially.

Is this more perverse than to run native linux toolchains in VMWare under
windows?

> CrossGCC folks use various schemes, and I personally find those too
> complicated, but do it my way mostly because I'm too lazy to read the
> instructions.

Where are those various schemes documented. I guess i'm more perverse than
you are, and that's probably what I'm looking for...

And what was the scheme to cross build for ia64 (or hurd) before their was
any binary libc for ia64 (or hurd) ? (No i don't want to do any of that, but
i'm curious)

Thanks

A+

--
Fabrice 'cross builder perverse' Gautier
gautier@email.enst.fr