RE: Installation Problems

    Kai, just a few points here...

  He *IS* building a cross compiler.  Now, I am under the impression that
fixincs needs to be run on the standard C headers for a target board,
because they often aren't 100% ANSI compatible, or need to be modified to
reflect the different functionality that libgcc might provide compared to
the OS vendors libs.  So I have the idea that fixincs must be run on the
vendor headers a) in order to build libgcc correctly and b) in order to
have valid headers that will work with gcc after installation.

  I am also firmly convinced (because I've tried it over and over again)
that fixincs will never be run on the files in $prefix/$target/include, only
on the files in $prefix/$target/sys-include.

  Therefore, if the OS vendor headers are to be fixinc'd, they must be
in sys-include.  And if they aren't to be fixinc'd, why does fixincl.x
have OS vendor specific patches for systems such as VxWorks?

>The system-dependent headers, ie. specific for just the one PC, should be
>put into the 'sys-include'.

  I can't make sense of this, I'm afraid, "Specific for just the one PC",
to me means 'this one here on my desk but not that identical one on the
next desk'.  Unless these headers contain the hostname or other similar
unique identifier I can't imagine what headers might meet this standard ?

       DaveK
--
The Boulder Pledge: "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will I

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com