[Fwd: CrossCompiling 68030 Code under Windows NT/98]

Hello Marco,

I am currently cross-compiling for the 68306, 68331, and 68332 with this setup:

Windows 98 and Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
Cygnus Cygwin 1.0 (commercial version for $99)
binutils-2.9.1
gcc-2.95.2
newlib-1.8.2

The 68030 must also be covered by this. It must either have an EC000 or CPU32
core, both of which are supported by GCC.

I wrote a script (attached) to automate the building of binutils and the compiler
under this setup. It includes detailed instructions for starting from scratch. It
does, however, assume that you have the commercial version of Cygwin as opposed to
the free one. Perhaps I'll make another document/script for the free Cygwin, but I
think the expense for the commercial Cygwin is worth it, so I assume it would be
for others as well.

The Cygwin program from Cygnus/Red Hat provides a very good Unix-like environment
for Windows operating systems. I don't know of a better option for cross-compiling
under Windows than using Cygwin. There may be other possibilities, but personally
I much prefer using the Unix-like bash shell under Cygwin than using a DOS-like NT
or 98 command prompt.

There is a free version of Cygwin (try www.cygnus.com or www.redhat.com), which
will work as well, but I don't recommend it because the commercial version has a
much more complete imitation of the Unix environment. With the free version you
have to download and build a lot of standard programs yourself (man, info, emacs,
etc.).

I honestly wish I could do my work under Linux. Sure, there's the additional hard
drive space and the time to get up to speed with the operating system, but I
expect you'd have much more development/debugging tools available to you under
Linux, and probably many more experienced people familiar with cross-compilers
under Linux than under NT. My client insists on NT, so I'm stuck, but I would not
hesitate to move to Linux if I could. I can't speak from experience because I have
not tried it yet, but I *think* I'm right. E.g. I had a hell of a time with the
unexpected translation of LF's to CRLF's, causing things like shell scripts and
makefiles not to work.

You may want to check David Fiddes' website (http://www.fiddes.net/coldfire/),
which has prebuilt binaries. I guess this is more what you're looking for. I
wanted to build the compiler myself because I was having problems and wanted to
see the source code and see exactly how it was used to build the libraries I was
using. I also wanted to make sure that I was using the latest stuff. David seems
to be keeping his stuff up to date (last update was on April 17), so you might be
better off just using his stuff.

Chris

marco_frischkorn@commerzbank.com wrote:

> Greatings to all!
>
> I'm trying to compile 68030 Codes on my Windows NT/98 machine, but
> don't know what is needed. The CrossGCC-FAQ isn't very helpfull at this
> part. Is there a distribution where all things are done and is
> delivered with a good installation script?
>
> I don't want to install Linux for the gcc. No time to learn linux and
> no time to compile a compile for using as a crosscompiler.
>
> MfG
> Marco Frischkorn

begin:vcard
n:Bahns;Christopher