Three Dumb Questions

Several readers have responded with suggestions and help for my
cross-compiler problems, and I want to thank everyone who responded to me.
They really helped, and so now it occurred to me that this list might be a
good place to ask a few questions to help me get pointed towards relevant
materials.  I am still somewhat confused here, and a little bit of insight
would be very helpful.

I believe these questions could be adequately answered by "RTFM" - but what
I really want to know is what manual (where?) should I read?  My questions
are:

      1)  Where can I find documentation on what the somewhat cryptic
assembly
           commands used by GNU "__asm__" do?  (I've looked through "Using
and
           Porting GNU CC" by Richard Stallman, but haven't found it.)
      2)  What is the function in gcc of crti.o?  Where can I find the
source?
      3)  How can I insert commands in a Makefile to dump (selected)
diagnostic
           information near a failure point?  (I've got GNU make
documentation
           for versions 3.74 and 3.75) in .ps format, but I'm still looking
for
           suggestions.)

This newbie would appreciate some guidance.

Richard Bowser
Engineer
Thunder Scientific Corporation

email:    richardb@thunderscientific.com