Re: libiberty can't find target header files

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Troy Cauble wrote:

> I've been tempted to try --with-headers also, but I was going to
> set it to /path/to/vxworks/headers .  Since I'm compiling for
> vxWorks, I don't think I'll need to build newlib or libc.

Correct - LibC is included in the VxWorks kernel.

> If you don't have any other header file candidates (you didn't
> mention a target OS), I suppose you might have done the right
> thing.  The FAQ is unclear here.  It clearly says build GCC
> before newlib.  But then again it says unpack everything first.

Set up two softlinks as follows:

.../gcc-src/gcc-2.95.2/newlib   -> .../gcc-src/newlib-1.8.1/newlib
.../gcc-src/gcc-2.95.2/libgloss -> .../gcc-src/newlib-1.8.1/libgloss

and then configure GCC with the "--with-newlib" option. The latter
is not documented anywhere what does. Neither have I been able to
pry it out of the configure scripts. But I can guess, and my guess
is that it among others selects the Newlib setjump/longjump
functions over the ones following GCC in "libgcc," and also
possibely selects the Newlib versions of the "float/limits/
stddef/stdarg" header files above the one following GCC.

If you peek into the "Makefile.in" template you will discover that
it already know of just about all GNU distributed software,
including Newlib. Thus, if Newlib is present (in the form of
subdirectories) it will be configured, build and included.

  Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity.
  -Robert Anson Heinlein

		GeirFRS@invalid.and.so.forth