gnu ld bug?

I'm using a powerpc-eabi cross compiler which I built
from gcc-2.95.2 and binutils-2.9.1.  My linker script
is rather simple and the bss section looks like this:

	.bss :
	{
        . = ALIGN(32);
        Bbss = .;
	*(.sbss) *(.scommon)
        *(.dynbss)
	*(.bss)
        *(COMMON)
        Ebss = .;
	} > sdram

The problem I'm running into is that gnu ld is giving the
same exact address to two distinct sbss variables which reside
in different files.  The names of the variables are different
and I'm clueless as to what the problem might be.  If I make
one of the variables static to that file, the problem goes
away.  Has anyone ever run into such a problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pete