Arm-coff/Arm-elf linker placement of data and bss

Jeff Mock jeff@mock.com
Sat Apr 1 00:00:00 GMT 2000

How does arm-{coff,elf}-ld  figure out where to put the beginning of the
initialized data segment?  I have found that arm-elf puts the data segment
0x100 bytes after the end of the text segment and arm-coff puts the data
segment 0x40000 bytes after the end of text.  I would like the linker to
put the data segment 0 bytes after the end of text.

How can I control this offset from the end of text to the beginning of data?
I'm building a bootstrap that's constrained to the first 2k bytes of SRAM and
I need to cram everything together.

In concept I would like to use the -Tdata option to arm-ld, I would like the
following effect:

    arm-elf-ld  -TText 10000000 -Tdata _etext  (put data right after text,
no padding)

The above is not legal, the argument to -Tdata is supposed to be a hex number.

thanks,
jeff