RE: PowerPC Toolchain.

>From: Rolf.Barwick@aculab.com [mailto:Rolf.Barwick@aculab.com]

>	I wish to build a GNU Toolchain for a new PowerPC embedded system,
>using S-records.   I am sure it can be done, though I run into tool
>building problems with the options I have used up to now.
>My questions:
>	What --target= option should I be using for the configure script?

   powerpc-eabi is probably your best bet for starters. I don't know
that any of the ppc targets use s-recs by default, but a simple workround
might be to add a stage in your makefile that uses objcopy (from binutils)
to convert the format.

>	Are there any special makefile targets which need to be specified
>for a cross compiler for generating low-level code?   (That is I haven't
>yet written the OS libraries).

   You won't be able to build the compiler properly without a set of
include files for the C standard library for your OS/target. You'd probably
find it easiest to port newlib to your architecture; you can then use the
header files from that to get your compiler to build even before you've done
the newlib porting work. At least, I think this should work, although I
haven't used newlib myself because I've only ever built toolchains for an
existing OS for which I already had the header files (vxworks, in case
you're interested). If you decide to go down this route, you'd need to add
--with-newlib=/path/to/newlib/source to your configure command.

     DaveK
--
The Boulder Pledge: "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will I

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com