RE: Building a Cygwin version of GCC that targets the PowerPC...

>Adrian Michaud wrote:
>>Does anyone know of, or have a pointer to instructions on how
>>to build the latest GCC on Cygwin that targets a PowerPC processor?  IE:
>>GCC hosted on Windows that builds PowerPC .elf object files...
>
>yep. see attached text file. if you have any problems feel free to ask.
>
>Rob Taylor
>Flying Pig Systems

  A couple of things jumped out at me from that text file:-

>get cygwin, and source for binutils-2.10 gcc-2.95.2-core, gcc-2.85.2,
>newlib-1.82

  I don't understand this. Surely gcc-2.95.2-core is a subset of what's
in gcc-2.95.2, so that step should be unnecessary? (And I'm assuming that
85 is a typo for .95)

>for some reason the build produces a gcc spec file with CR/LF's rather than
>LF line endings, so convert  the line endings on
>
>/usr/target-powerpc/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-unknown-eabi/2.95.2/spec

  The reason for this would be that the drive on which you're doing
the build is mounted in text mode, most likely. If you have a binary mode
mount point in your cygwin setup, you can create a build directory there,
and it should work fine.

>[ NOTE:
>(if you dont have a suitable tool use the following shell script - create a
>file called dos2unix with this in and stick it in your /usr/local/bin)
>
>#!/bin/sh
>cat $1 | sed "s/^M\{1,\}$//" | sed "$ s/^Z//" > $2
>
>]

  This will come in handy! Thanks!

         DaveK
--
 "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made." -Groucho Marx