General embedded development kits using gcc/gdb.

> From: Craig Verbeck <CVerbeck@ClarityVisual.com>
>
> Here's a list of processors that I'd love to see a binary distribution of
> this "development kit" for both windows and Linux:
>
> 8bit: 8051/Atmel AVR
(snip)

Thank you Craig for your comments - all very helpful.  I already distribute an
80C537/80C517 development kit.  It has an assembly debugger (via the serial
port) with all the normal stuff - break points, register values etc.  I use a
very nice compiler for the 8051 family made by Hi-Tech, but its $1000 per
licence - one of the things that gave me the impetus for this project.

Is gcc ported for _any_ 8-bit microprocessor/microcontroller?

> 16bit: x86

Is there a preferable x86 platform for embedded apps?  Say an 80188EB, or
other?

--
Andrew Tuckey, Visiting Lecturer
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department

Email: tuckey@ieee.org