Re: GCC cross- compiling: 'no rule to make target'

Hi,

> Although I have compiled & built quite a lot stuff for cygwin &
> mingw32 hosts, I have done all this under Linux, using Cygwin and
> Mingw32 targeted cross-tools.

	Well, I'd be glad to do everything under Linux, but I have one (!!) tool, that runs under DOS (windows in
some conditions) essential in my work. But as I see now (just checked), it's not a problem- I run dosemu, my
tool works fine under it (in fact- far better than under windows).
	Everything looks solved (as I want to build application; I need a compiler), as I have it in one enviroment.

	Anyway- I would like to learn, how to build cross- compilers (I'm afraid ;-) I'll need it in near future),
thus I'd like to know how to build i586-cygwin32-to-i386-aout under Linux, which I can't. Script  I use stops
with following error message:
"
In file included from include/syslimits.h:7,
	from include/limits.h:11,
	from ../../src/gcc/libgcc2.c:1105:
/home/myhomedir/b-i586-cygwin32/gcc/include/limits.h:117: No include path in which to find limits.h
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
"
	Why there wasn't any errors building aout, and building cygwin32 there are?

	 I am a complete novice in using C for embedded purposes; info's, howto's and man's don't answer alll
my questions, pity. If I just wanted to use compiler to build my linux/cygwin application, those files would do,
but as I want a piece of code to burn EPROM with- no OS, no loaders- bare CPU, IO, RAM- they won't

>  If the 'ar.h' is there (in '../include/aout/'), but it cannot be
>  found in the
> Cygwin environment, perhaps trying to edit the 'bfd/Makefile' and
> removing the nonsense '../../src/bfd/' away would help...

	It is in '../include/aout'. Problems with long filenames then.

> > But makefiles are made by configure, aren't they? So, 'Wo ist der
> > Hund begraben?'
>
>  Under a real Unix those long pathnames shouldn't cause troubles.

	I see.

>  You write 'no problems' (with the sources for the i386-aout target
>  compiler),
> and next 'the i386-aout targeted compiler under Linux failed'...
>
>  If you couldn't get a working 'i386-aout' targeted compiler under
>  Linux, why
> you think it could work under Win32?  I see this as the real
> problem....

	I just wasn't able to build Linux-to-i586-cygwin32, I was able to build Linux-to-i386-aout. But, as I
used a script for whole process and as first step of building Linux-to-i586-cygwin32 failed, I wrote that
whole build failed. And this step failed for reasons written above.

>  But if it failed in Canadian Cross, how it could succeed earlier?

	I just don't know...

>  How did the i386-aout compiler fail?  With Canadian Cross it will be
>  used to
> compile just the same things as while building the Linux-hosted
> compiler, i.e. all the 'libgcc.a', 'libobjc.a', 'libiberty.a' etc.
> libs for the target. When it is in this phase, making stuff which was
> already made, pushing Control-C to get it stop may be quite normal
> reaction. But building the same stuff with the installed compiler and
> comparing the library sizes etc. to make sure they are identical with
> those produced with the then uninstalled one, may help to reveal all
> bugs...

	As I said- I'm completely new to building cross-compilers. I always had built tools, mostly assemblers.

>  Perhaps it wasn't the Linux-to-i386-aout, but your
>  Linux-to-i586-cygwin

	That's right!

> compiler which failed... Or your Makefile had a wrong compiler to
> produce something....

	I don't know.

>  The rules:
>
>   *_FOR_TARGET            - tools for the i386-aout
>   *_FOR_BUILD             - tools for Linux
>   plain names             - tools for Cygwin
>   HOST_CC                 - the same as CC_FOR_BUILD !!!!!!!
>   OLDCC                   - the same as CC_FOR_TARGET !!!!!!
>
>  Besides the last two, the toolnames in Makefile are easy to check,
>  the
> HOST_CC is really misleading...

	Well, I'm going to check this. I wanted to use some ready to use tools (i.e. scripts to automate the
process), and didn't intend to dig through all make matters, but it looks like i will have to :-|

Thanks a lot,

Marcin Wolcendorf.

 10 000 zl INWESTUJESZ WIRTUALNIE WYGRYWASZ REALNIE
w internetowej symulacji inwestowania www.pieniadz.pl