So close

With the help of this mailing list (thanks all)  I'm so close to having
the powerpc cross built.  The gcc package is finishing the build,
however it now fails after having build gcc.  I'm just running into one
other problem and I'm not sure if it is gcc or binutils that is wrong.
I get this error when gcc dies in the build process (both in making a
cross compiler and when I tried to build gcc on a friends native
linuxppc box) and when I attempt to use the crossgcc that I have been
able to build.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on here.
Thanks,

/Godzilla/tools/powerpc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
unrecognised emulation mode: elf32ppclinux
Supported emulations: elf32ppc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status