Re: more Linux --> AIX cross compiler questions

> Thanks for the tip.  I changed my specs to use "-lc" instead of "-lg" and I
> get the same error but this time about libc.a:
>
> /mnt/disk2/aixcross/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.1/bin/ld:/mnt/disk2/aixcross/powerpc
> -ibm-aix4.3.1/lib/libc.a: file format not recognized; treating as linker script
>
> I guess I'm going to have a big linking problem if the Linux hosted cross
> tools can't read the AIX native library files (at least from AIX 4.3.1).

 Have you checked the file format ?  If it really is a linker script, just as
it tells...

 If not, do the other binutils work with it? What does the command
     powerpc-ibm-aix4.3-ar tv libc.a
say about it ?  And does the command:
     powerpc-ibm-aix4.3-nm libc.a
find the symbols in it? These can only tell how bad the situation is... There
is the README.RS6000 with GCC/egcs sources telling something about the AIX 4.3
archive format being extended to 64-bit etc. Reading it may tell about the
problems with the new archive format...

 What version of binutils you are using? Do the current development snapshots
at:

   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/binutils

work any better?

 Once I experimented with converting old Xenix/386 OMF-libraries into i386coff
format with a SCO-provided 'cvtomf' (or something) utility... It succeeded
quite well (the last two Xenix-versions could run i386coff), so a possibility
to make cross-tools for Xenix/386, or cross-tools for a 'minimal SCO Unix 3.2',
(using only the Xenix-subset of syscalls), was made possible...

 So a method like the previous OMF-COFF conversion could be investigated... Is
there a 'objcopy'-like program from IBM, which could convert the new-format
libs (the 32-bit-ones, if separate) to the old-format, which the GNU-tools will
recognize?  Of course I mean that one converts only copies of the original libs
in AIX, for the cross-development purposes...

 Cheers, Kai