Re: GCC: different OS targets.

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 11:53:48AM -0400, David Edelsohn wrote:
> 	The PowerPC port of GCC can be configured for AIX or for SVR4.
> The SVR4 port allows an AIX-style calling convention as compatibility for
> a very old embedded PowerPC environment that Cygnus once produced.  One
> cannot build a single compiler for full support of both ABIs.  Linux,
> eABI, Solaris, and SysV are all SVR4 variants and can be selected with a
> command-line option to a single compiler.

Actually the -mcall-aix support is to be compatible with the calling sequence
GCC used before I added the eABI support.  I think Kenner was the original
author.  There are major Cygnus customers that still use it, so I would prefer
it not be removed, sigh....

The -mcall-aixdesc switch, which is not documented, was my attempt to merge the
two major ABIs into one compiler (this was before I added the now defunct NT
support).  When I moved to a faster computer (from a 90 Mhz Pentium to a dual
200 Mhz Pentium Pro) and my builds became much faster, I lost interest in
trying to use one compiler to support all of the ABI's.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886