Re: powerpc-linux cross gcc-2.95 with newlib-1.8.1 missing crt1.o

Graham Stoney wrote:

> > You need to get the runtime libs and headers and preinstall them before
> > building binutils and gcc.
>
> Thanks for the pointers to the RPMs. I don't think I need the runtime libs and
> headers before building binutils and gcc though; once I've got binutils and
> gcc built, I can build the runtime libs myself.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that glibc is the only option for linux (but anything
is possible).  I would use glibc first until you get everything working, then try
newlib if it is possible.

You should be able to build gcc without any runtime libs if you are only building
the core components (ie. the C compiler).  If you try builing some of the other
components (Fortran, etc) it will definately barf.  That's my experience with
egcs-1.1.2 anyways.  I also think that some of headers may even be required for the
C compiler build.  I seem to remember having problems with limits.h but I can't
remember if that was for powerpc-eabi or powerpc-linux cross-compilers (or was it
both ?).

Brendan Simon.