Re: remote gdb with shared serial port

    >> The box is plugged into the serial port of an NCD X-terminal,
    >> so the host computer must communicate with the serial port via
    >> a socket, such as a telnet connection.

    D> Somewhat off subject as to Cross compilers, but related to
    D> embedded systems.

    D> How is this setup handled?

I just got the NCD serial port working today.  :-)

The NCD has up to 3 serial ports, but always at least one.  If you
press the "setup" key on the keyboard, a window pops up on the
display.  Point to mouse at the "setup" item on the menu bar, press,
and drag down to "setup parameters" (not "user parameters" or "quick
setup") and release.  Another window pops up with a bunch of check
boxes.  Click on the one markes "serial".  When it opens, click on
serial port 1 and make sure it says "printer".  This will run a daemon
in the NCD to allow a telnet socket to connect to it.  Also set baud,
parity, and stop bits to meet your needs.

Look in the lower area under the scroll box you were just in and see
what ip port number serial port one is connected to.  If you now
telnet to the ip address of your NCD terminal and the ip port noted
above, you should establish a socket connection to the NCD's serial
port 1, which is the DB-25 connector marked "auxillary" on the back of
the NCD box.

    D> I Need to build an RS-485-Ethernet Gateway

My NCD only does rs-232, but a couple of driver chips and you should
be able to convert this.

    D> I also have some older Ethernet Routers and a new ISDN router
    D> which only configure thru a serial port.  Being able to telnet
    D> to them from anywhere on the network would be great.

Some routers do not permit telnetting in by default for security
reasons, but some Cisco's allow it to be enabled if desired.

    D> I already have a bunch of older NCD X-terms.  Yank the base off
    D> the CRT and stuff it in a closet someplace.

You will need the crt to set it up, but after that you shouldn't need
it.

    D> The rs-232 to 485 is not an issue.

    D> This may be a perfect way to save work and use hardware I
    D> already have.

I hope it works for you.

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------