Re: Linux->Cygwin->PPC

Mumit Khan wrote:

> Brendan Simon <brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au> writes:
> >
> > I want to build a cross compiler (Cygwin->ppc-eabi and Mingw->ppc-eabi)
> > with egcs-1.1.2.  I am going to follow Mumit's Cygwin and Mingw HOWTOs
> > (The one's I have are for egcs-1.1.1 but I assume little has changed
> > since these were written).  They say to get the Cygwin development
> > source from sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/latest.  I have done that
> > but want to confirm that this is the best version to use.  ie. Is there
> > any later snapshot of the Cygwin source that anyone would recommend over
> > the one in sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/latest ?
> >
> > I guess I could miss the first step of creating the Linux-Win32
> > cross-compilers as there are some binary images on objsw.com.  They are
> > egcs-1.1.1 (last time I looked) but I would prefer to use egcs-1.1.2.  I
> > am using egcs-1.1.2 on Win32 and on Linux so I would like to avoid
> > mixing matching of versions.  I feel safer if I'm building egcs-1.1.2
> > cross-compilers using egcs-1.1.2 compilers.  Am I just being overly
> > paranoid ?
> >

> I would be cautious about one thing -- the Cygwin B2.01 binutils (known as
> version 2.9.4) has a bug when targetting ppc-eabi where forward references
> didn't work correctly. I did this for a FSF customer once, and I ended up
> using 2.9.1 (and one of the newer binutils snapshots) instead of  the
> Cygwin b20.1 distribution, and it came out just fine.

You have confused me.  Are you referring to the Linux->Cygwin, Cywin->PPC or
both with regards to binutils ?
Mmm, that sounds even more confusing.
So you are saying that targeting Cywin is OK when using the so called
binutils-2.9.4 ?
But targeting ppc-eabi with binutils-2.9.4 is not OK ?
So are you recommending using binutils-2.9.1 (FSF or Cygwin ?) for everything
or just the ppc-eabi build ?

> Of course, I built everything on a Linux box to maintain my sanity, but
> Cygwin should be stable enough now to do all of this, albeit slowly.

I have enough trouble on a Linux machine so I wouldn't even contemplate using
Cygwin.  When everything is going I might consider it just for fun but I
don't see the point, unless a Unix/Linux box is not available.

Brendan.