Re: General questions about installing Cross GCC

Thank you Mr Evans!

for your information about the directories, how they work (why they are
created, etc).

>Are you saying you specify --target as either arm-unknown-coff or arm--coff?
>If so, don't.  Specify "--target=arm-coff".  config.sub is an internal
>utility, btw, I don't know of any user need to run it directly.

First, I specified the target as "--target=arm-coff", but then the C
compiler was named:
arm-unknown-coff-gcc, which was not what I wanted.
Then, I tried to specify the target in many different ways. And, if I
specified the target
as "--target=arm--coff" then the C compiler was named:
arm--coff-gcc, which was most close to what I wanted...

However, the correct way to specify the target for ARM with COFF seems to be:

../gcc-2.8.1/configure --target=arm-coff --prefix=/usr/local/ARM
--program-prefix=arm-coff- \
--with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld

The C compiler is now correctly named:
arm-coff-gcc

Special thanks to Brendan Simon for this information!

CH