NT cross compiler for Linux

Hi all,

I am trying to create an NT cross compiler for Linux and as part of this
process, I am trying to build a cross-compiled set of binutils.  I
downloaded the latest Cygwin release (B20.1), and am using the executables
from that in order to run the configure (sh) script, along with an NT native
gcc compiler, and the other typical unix tools.  I also downloaded the FSF
Binutils 2.9.1 distribution sources.  After untarring it, I run './configure
--target=i486-pc-linux-gnu' and it seems to be ok. Then I run 'make all',
and it compiles for a while, but then dies at this point:

rm -rf libiberty.a
ar rc libiberty.a \
   argv.o basename.o choose-temp.o concat.o cplus-dem.o fdmatch.o fnmatch.o
getopt.o getopt1.o
   getruntime.o hex.o floatformat.o objalloc.o obstack.o pexecute.o spaces.o
strerror.o strsignal.o
   xatexit.o xexit.o xmalloc.o xstrdup.o xstrerror.o asprintf.o insque.o
sigsetmask.o vasprintf.o
   random.o
ranlib libiberty.a
echo argv.o basename.o choose-temp.o concat.o cplus-dem.o fdmatch.o
fnmatch.o getopt.o
   getopt1.o getruntime.o hex.o floatformat.o objalloc.o obstack.o
pexecute.o spaces.o strerror.o
   strsignal.o xatexit.o xexit.o xmalloc.o xstrdup.o xstrerror.o >
required-list
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../bfd/bfd.h', needed by `dis-buf.lo'.
Stop.
make: *** [all-opcodes] Error 2

Any idea why bfd.h is missing or where it comes from?  Does this file get
generated somewhere?  Thanks in advance for the info...

In case anyone cares:  In trying to create an NT cross Linux compiler, I've
tried alot of other things before getting to this point... Most of them
involving downloading the Cygwin source distribution itself and trying to
cross compile that instead.  Everything I tried resulted in compilation
problems for one reason or another, including the same Binutils bfd.h
problem mentioned above.  For this reason, I decided to abandon the Cygwin
stuff and am concentrating on getting the individual packages like Binutils
to cross compile instead.  If anyone thinks that I should keep doing this,
or if anyone thinks that I should go back to trying to get the Cygwin
release to compile, please let me know what you think would be easier.  :-)

Thanks again,
Curt Moffitt