RE: IDE-Harddiskdriver for MCUs

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Peter Shoebridge wrote:

> Can you give any time scales as to when the current code will/may see the
> light of day. I'm working on file system stuff at the moment. I have an
> ATA/ATAPI driver plus drivers for FAT16/32 (read only at the moment) and
> ISO9660, plus a UDF driver in the works.

We are starting down a freeze path now for a public release.  I don't even
attempt to predict when that will result in a release since whatever I say
will undoubtedly be wrong.

There has been a lot of work since 4.0 -- remote debug server across
network, better C++ support including a port of OmniOrb, work on TAO, the
filesystem infrastructure, more POSIX support, an effort to reduce minimum
executable size, more use of automake, and a general movement to following
GNU Makefile conventions.  Basically the build issues need to settle.

> I had not really thought about donating them to the cause (so to speak) but
> that could be a possibility (although, I'd have concerns as to how general
> purpose they are - they work for me!, but, I suppose I wouldn't find out
> until I released them!!).
>
> Your thoughts?

If you have used this code in any fashion and it works :), then
integrating it would be a welcome addition to RTEMS.  Real filesystems are
the logical next step.

--joel