Re: Crocc GCC building for H8300H

There are some applications for which Windows is a good choice. However
compiler construction is not one of them.

You should really press your management to make an exception in this
case. It's possible to do this under Windows, but takes a lot of time;
both in getting the configuration right and in doing the actual build.

However if there is absolutely no way you can get access to a linux
machine, it is possible to build compilers on Windows by using the
Cygwin package. Cygwin is a Unix-to-Windows translation layer which
emulates many Unix system calls on Windows, allowing most of the Gnu
software to compile and run on Windows without the major modifications
that would otherwise be required. It's available from the cygnus web
site.

Once you have cygwin installed, then you can unpack the compiler sources
and do a normal cross build. (Canadian cross not needed here, just
specify '--target=' and the name of the H8 target configuration you want
to use.) The resulting tools will also require the cygwin package to be
installed in order to run.

It won't be fun, but at least it will be tedious... :-)

Scott