Linker and Startup files.

I've finally got to build and egcs cross-compiler (powerpc-eabi).  I
then built new lib with the exact same configure options
(--target=powerpc-eabi --prefix=/usr/local/egcs --with-newlib amongst
others).  It built and installed OK but gcc/g++ can not create
executables.  It complains about undefined references which look like
linker script symbols.

Do I HAVE to provide my own startup file and linker script or should
newlib have a defaults ?
If I have to provide them, is there templates for particular targets ?
I have some RTEMS ones which I could use but I guess I'd rather use
newlib (or should that be libgloss) ones.

Brendan Simon.