Re: Unrecognised object file

David Williams wrote:

> gcc -Wl,-Map=heli.map -g -o heli.cof crt0.o sysman.o usrtsk.o helilog.a
> crt0.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
>
> My understanding from the documentation is that all unrecognised extentions
> are treated as object files (.o is one of these).

Any filename that gcc doesn't recognize is passed verbatim to the
linker.

I believe that this
> version of xgcc produces COFF files. How can I tell? Do I need to specify
> an option for this (I cant find one)? Help me please?

If you are using the tools from http://www.objsw.com , then yes they do
generate COFF object files. If not, then the easiest way to tell what
output format used is to run objcopy with no arguments, and it will list
the format at the end of the command options.

The error message looks as if the linker might be getting the wrong
crt0.o.  Can you re-run gcc but add the options

-v -Wl,-t

to the command line, and post the results? Hopefully this will give us a
clue.

Scott