Re: GCC for Siemens C165

> At 00:06 08/03/99 -0600, "Robert J. Brown" <rj@eli.elilabs.com> wrote:
> At 00:06 08/03/99 -0600,  "Jamie Guinan" <guinan@bluebutton.com> wrote:
> >...if they distribute it,
> > then they need to distribute it according the the GPL.
> 	Very interesting... As I understand, both of you are right. This simple
> idea never hit my mind. Does anybody know what may be the next steps in
> this case?

Back in 97 I got an answer from a Hightec sales representative eagerly
explaining, that I could very well get the source code for the parts of the
GNU chain, which are under the GPL, e.g. gcc, libgcc, binutils, gdb),
however, this would cost me a fee ("Bereitstellungsgebuehr") of DM 1000.-

Other parts, like startup code, linker scripts, online help files, etc, are
proprietary, and are not available in source. The latest news is you would
get the target monitor in source for adaption to your target HW, but not
shure under what licence condition.

Let me cite (translated) from that email:

	GPL does not say, that those who have modified GPL sources, are obliged
	to give the source code away on request. GPL does just say, that
	sources must be made available for a handling fee for binaries, which
	have been given away.

(Note: I am neither a translater nor a lawyer, so this might not be 100%
accurate on what they actually said, but it's the spirit of the statement)

I am not shure, if Cygnus' policy is different at all. They also have
ports, which will not go into the public tree, but they give away (read:
sell) to selected customers. Those customers certainly will get source code
for that port as well, which in turn they will have to give it to endusers
on request, once they give the binaries to end users.

Now an interesting question is:

If I get the sources, say for GNU C166, for the mentioned fee, am I allowed
to post them?

gm
--
Gunter Magin                                     magin[AT]skil.camelot.de