Re: linker script error compiling linux-host, i386-go32 target

thunder7@xs4all.nl writes:
> I am trying to create a cross-compiler hosted on linux, which
> can compile programs for DOS.

[...]
> /home/jurriaan/cross/build/gcc/ld:built in linker script:24: parse
>  error

I encountered the same and reported the problem to the
ld-developers. unfortunately I don't have the reply anymor, but
generally the problem has been identified and will be fixed in newer
binutils releases.

anyway, I found that the problem is the into-ld-compiled ld-script (as
the error messages tells us: built in!). and this is a ld-compile-time
generated c-source, which is due to some weird shell `features' under
linux somehow broken (too many `\n' around).

so I configured ld cross for dos on a solaris box, and then copied the
generated `ei386go32.c' into the linux-build tree: tada everything is
fine.

I'll append the generated source, this should help you...

hope this helps,
martin

--
Martin.Pottendorfer@alcatel.at
Phone: +43 1 27722 3758	|  You know you've been hacking LISP too long,

/* This file is is generated by a shell script.  DO NOT EDIT! */

/* emulate the original gld for the given i386go32
   Copyright (C) 1991, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   Written by Steve Chamberlain steve@cygnus.com

This file is part of GLD, the Gnu Linker.

(at your option) any later version.

Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.  */

#define TARGET_IS_i386go32

#include "bfd.h"
#include "sysdep.h"
#include "bfdlink.h"

#include "ld.h"
#include "ldmain.h"
#include "ldemul.h"
#include "ldfile.h"
#include "ldmisc.h"

static void gldi386go32_before_parse PARAMS ((void));
static char *gldi386go32_get_script PARAMS ((int *isfile));

static void
gldi386go32_before_parse()
{
#ifndef TARGET_			/* I.e., if not generic.  */
  ldfile_set_output_arch ("i386");
#endif /* not TARGET_ */
}

static char *
gldi386go32_get_script(isfile)
     int *isfile;
{
  *isfile = 0;

  if (link_info.relocateable == true && config.build_constructors == true)
    return
"OUTPUT_FORMAT(\"coff-go32\")\n\
ENTRY(start)\n\
SECTIONS\n\
{\n\
  .text  : {\n\
    *(.text)\n\
    *(.const*)\n\
    *(.ro*)\n\
    ;\n\
  }\n\
  .data  : {\n\
    *(.data)\n\
    ;\n\
  }\n\
  .ctor : { *(.ctor) }\n\
  .dtor : { *(.dtor) }\n\
  .bss  :\n\
  { 					\n\
    *(.bss)\n\
    *(COMMON)\n\
    ;\n\
  }\n\
}\n\n"
  ; else if (link_info.relocateable == true) return
"OUTPUT_FORMAT(\"coff-go32\")\n\
ENTRY(start)\n\
SECTIONS\n\
{\n\
  .text  : {\n\
    *(.text)\n\
    *(.const*)\n\
    *(.ro*)\n\
    ;\n\
  }\n\
  .data  : {\n\
    *(.data)\n\
    ;\n\
  }\n\
  .bss  :\n\
  { 					\n\
    *(.bss)\n\
    *(COMMON)\n\
    ;\n\
  }\n\
}\n\n"
  ; else if (!config.text_read_only) return
"OUTPUT_FORMAT(\"coff-go32-exe\")\n\
ENTRY(start)\n\
SECTIONS\n\
{\n\
  .text  0x1000+SIZEOF_HEADERS : {\n\
    *(.text)\n\
    *(.const*)\n\
    *(.ro*)\n\
    etext  =  . ; _etext = .;\n\
    . = ALIGN(0x200);\n\
  }\n\
  .data  . : {\n\
    djgpp_first_ctor = . ;\n\
    *(.ctor)\n\
    djgpp_last_ctor = . ;\n\
    djgpp_first_dtor = . ;\n\
    *(.dtor)\n\
    djgpp_last_dtor = . ;\n\
    *(.data)\n\
     edata  =  . ; _edata = .;\n\
     . = ALIGN(0x200);\n\
  }\n\
  .bss  SIZEOF(.data) + ADDR(.data) :\n\
  { 					\n\
    *(.bss)\n\
    *(COMMON)\n\
     end = . ; _end = .;\n\
     . = ALIGN(0x200);\n\
  }\n\
}\n\n"
  ; else if (!config.magic_demand_paged) return
"OUTPUT_FORMAT(\"coff-go32-exe\")\n\
ENTRY(start)\n\
SECTIONS\n\
{\n\
  .text  0x1000+SIZEOF_HEADERS : {\n\
    *(.text)\n\
    *(.const*)\n\
    *(.ro*)\n\
    etext  =  . ; _etext = .;\n\
    . = ALIGN(0x200);\n\
  }\n\
  .data  ALIGN(0x200) : {\n\
    djgpp_first_ctor = . ;\n\
    *(.ctor)\n\
    djgpp_last_ctor = . ;\n\
    djgpp_first_dtor = . ;\n\
    *(.dtor)\n\
    djgpp_last_dtor = . ;\n\
    *(.data)\n\
     edata  =  . ; _edata = .;\n\
     . = ALIGN(0x200);\n\
  }\n\
  .bss  SIZEOF(.data) + ADDR(.data) :\n\
  { 					\n\
    *(.bss)\n\
    *(COMMON)\n\
     end = . ; _end = .;\n\
     . = ALIGN(0x200);\n\
  }\n\
}\n\n"
  ; else return
[...]
; }

struct ld_emulation_xfer_struct ld_i386go32_emulation =
{
  gldi386go32_before_parse,
  syslib_default,
  hll_default,