Cross compile from i686 to PowerPC

I am now officially giving up and asking for help.  I have
been trying to build a cross
compiler from my 'i686-pc-linux-gnu' to a
'powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu' system.
(Specifically MPC860 chip).

I have successfully built a standalone compiler using
'gcc-2.8.1' and 'ppc-elf32' as
the target.  However anytime I try and build with egcs it
eventually dies in
building 'libiberty' in file 'choose-temp.c' when asking for
'stdio.h'.  I cannot seem to
find valid cross headers for the compiler.  I tried using
'glibc.2.0.95' and 'newlibxxx'.
It seems odd to me that the compiler should need the C
library header files.  The C library
is not yet configured correctly because it needs the
compiler but it needs the C library etc.

I can start copying header files around manually but I am
still bugged by the fact the compiler
needs the header files.

Also, when trying to build a cross compiler using the
'gcc-2.8.1' and 'glibc-2.0.95' I get
pretty far but then run into an assembler error about not
being able to 'emit relocation'.
GCC seems to be generating assembly the assembler cannot
handle.  This is the closest
I have got to a working system but I would rather use
'egcs'.

Any suggesstions ?

--

Thanks,