cross-compiler not resolving printf

I have a Linux->m68k-bdm-coff cross-compiler and used it successfully
until I upgraded gcc, newlib, binutils, gdb to the latest revs this
weekend.

When trying to compile/link a simple "hello world" program with a
printf() in it, the linker fails saying it cannot find printf().
When I run the linker with "-t" to show me all the symbols (with
their respective files that are being linked) libc.a is clearly
being found for exit() and another function.  But it isn't grabing
the printf() function is libc.a.  For grins, I pulled printf() out
of the library and manually linked it in.  This almost worked, but
other symbols in printf() (which are in libc.a) failed to link in.

I can post my source, Makefile, and results if necessary, but I
first wanted to try to see if anyone else has this problem.

BTW, a simpler "hello world" that blinks and LED and doesn't call
printf() compiles, links, and runs just fine; so I believe the
tool chain is working properly.

Any ideas?

-tim