Re: possible success with h8300 cross egcs

Kai Ruottu wrote:

>  The 'h8300-hms' toolkit should work under Linux, but first you must
> have a stable and thoroughly tested 'production compiler' to build the
> new tools. So I assume that you run a lenghty 'torture' test for your
> new egcs-1.1 native compiler, before trusting to use it to build anything...

Nope, built it and figured using it to build itself as a cross compiler
would be as good a test as any.

>  I have a native egcs-1.1 for libc-5.4.46, bootstrapped with H.J.Lu's
> egcs-1.0.2 release, but haven't yet run much torture tests to see the
> quality (only the c-torture-1.45)... So, I still use the 1.0.2 for production
> use.
>
>  I would suggest you to upgrade your GCC with the released egcs-1.0.2 or
> egcs-1.1 (if available) for libc-5, and use it to build the 'h8300-hms'
> toolkit.

I used 'make bootstrap' to create the native egcs-1.1b compiler which
appears to bootstrap itself.  Doesn't the stage 2 compile use stage1
compiler and do a binary check for successful bootstrap?  It wouldn't
seem to then matter whether I used gcc or egcs to get the stage1
compiler.
If it bootstrapped to a good stage2, it's fine.

Also, doesn't the compiler carry it's own library for it's own needs?
So it doesn't matter whether I have libc-5xxxx or not?

> If you can get 'acid-tested' binaries, why try to build the
> same yourself?  Ok, I confess that I too have this NIH-attitude sometimes,
> but not trusting myself too much will now and then help a lot...
> (It can be possible that someone else can do something better than me
> sometimes...;-)

This wasn't an exercise in vanity or to satisfy some NIH pomposity,
the only binaries of h8 tools my net searches turned up were old gcc
2.6.x
dos and solaris hosted versions.  None for linux.

--
|\/|
|/\| randall@elgar.com
|\/| rsl@zanshinsys.com http://www.zanshinsys.com
To get help for the crossgcc list, send mail to
crossgcc-request@cygnus.com with the text 'help'
(without the quotes) in the body of the message.