RE: Cross compiling Wintel32 (win95 & NT) code on Sun Solaris 2.6 servers

Hi,

> Currently, I build the NT version on an NT machine,
> but NT's networking & cooperation with the UNIX server
> is not robust ("not" is an understatement).
> I would like to know if someone has successfully
> cross compiled code for the NT on Solaris, and how to go about the same.
> What's the impact on the debuggablity of the crosscompiled
> NT executable? Is it possible to make gcc write out debugging info.
> that is readable by Microsoft VC++?

Have a look at the Gnu-Win32 project
(http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/). I don't think that MSVC can read
gcc debugging info so you are left with using gdb. :(
I believe that Solaris -> NT cross compiling and Linux -> NT cross compiling
work just great...the Cygwin32 toolkit (gcc for NT) is actually built on a
Solaris machine before release(although you can rebuild the thing on NT ;)
The guy's on the gnu-win32 mailing list may have a a fair bit more help to
give as this list is mostly inhabited by embedded developers.

Dave

David Fiddes, CALM Software Production Officer
Department of Mathematics, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
email D.J.Fiddes@hw.ac.uk - Tel: +44 131-451-3251
50th Aniversary of the Computer : 21st June 1948 :
http://www.computer50.org/