spam on this list (sigh)

I loathe spam as much as the next person but I'm not sure what I
can do to effectively eliminate it.  One thing is set the majordomo config
option that only lets members of the list write to the list.
That may cause problems for some as I believe a simple strcmp is used
to see whether a sender is in the recorded list, and if your site
includes machine names in your email address and you happen to send
a message from a machine different from the one you subscribed from
then your message will fail (it seems to me majordomo could be a bit
smarter here --- I'll have to check, does anyone know?).

I could just leave things as is and wait until things get
sufficiently intolerable of course.