Re: FW: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Alec Cawley wrote:

> Sorry, not very good context. Someone complained that using GNU software
> required them to publish all their source code, include the parts
> driving their proprietary hardware, thus revealing at least part of the
> hardware design. My point is that, insofaras this is true, it is
> entirely in accord with FSF aims. Whilst not central to the main thrust
> of FSF, it is a strong argument (were any needed) against the GNU
> license being relaxed in any way for embedded software.

This is a valid argument.  But as RMS stated early on (parahrasing
probably badly), if there are viable commercial alternative (as is the
case for gcc) and the license prevents the wide-spread use of the free
software, then nothing is advanced.  Forcing release of information is
unpalatable to many embedded systems developers.  Those people will simply
not choose to use free software.  This in turn eliminates any chance of
submissions from those people.

>From a personal standpoint, I want RTEMS to be free software but I also
want people to use it.  So the liense can't scare users off.  Even the
non-restrictive "libgcc" style license has cost us untold hours of
discussions with potential users convincing them that it has no strings.
<sigh>

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Director of Research & Development
   Support Available             (205) 722-9985