Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

I got my answer and wanted to stay out of the rest of this, but I
just can't help myself.

rj@eli.elilabs.com said:
> If your hardware is truley unique and you want to protect it, then
> patent it.  If it is not unique, then where's the beef?  The only
> downside I can see is if you stole your hardware technology and need
> to keep its inards secret to keep from getting busted!

I do embedded stuff, and I GPL my code. Share the wealth, not to mention
this is a fair trade for access to compilers, etc. I generally agree with
and follow the public license process, patent or no.

However, applying for and enforcing a patent is a rather pricey option,
especially for low quantity jobs. When margins are getting thin, I don't
want to go around fussing with lawyers and patent forms and fees and
being all distracted from real work for real customers.

Although I'm not the tight-lipped type, I think you are being a little bit
unfair. There are many good reasons to want to keep some cards close to
one's chest, at least temporarily. Just don't violate others intellectual
property rights when you do so. (And don't secretly use MY GPLed stuff when
you do so:-)

steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,